Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Early Exposure

So, I wrote a book. A novel to be exact. It's been about three years in the making, although I put it aside several times for many months without touching it. When I tell people I finished a novel, one of their first questions is, "What made you want to do that?"


I've always had my nose in a book. I'd lug books around the way some kids have a blankie.


Flipping pages while waiting for cake on my 2nd birthday




My parents were exhausted with my constant requests for books to be read to me, so when I was three, they taught me how to read them by myself.


Reading and blending in with the 1982 decor



I went the science route in high school, to the dismay of my English teacher... sorry Pete. So while I spent much time working on chem labs and dissecting frogs, my favorite thing to do was write book reports.

Fast forward 12 years later, when I'm feeling a bit bored and needing a creative outlet. I was in an apartment the size of a matchbox with lots of carpeting, so painting wasn't a good choice. Neither was interpretive dance, due to the glass coffee tables.

I had a vague idea in my head for a main character.... so I grabbed my laptop and started to type. The only outline that ever existed was in my mind (which is a completely sketchy place to store anything).

I think it was inevitable that I would write something someday, given my love for books. I have my family to thank for not replacing the books in my hands for Barbies. (I never really liked her. Well, I had the one with the super long hair but my dog chewed her leg off).

Since this blog is going to be about fashion too, I couldn't resist putting in a shot of me rocking my raingear and a storybook. I still love rubber boots.



Sweet upholstery




XOXO
Glitterary Girl

No comments: