Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Goodbye Target Canada

The big retail news the week was the decision by Target to close all of its Canadian stores. As a frequent and enthusiastic Target shopper, I was really sad to hear this. I feel sad for the employees who will be out of work and disappointed at the waste of money and resources used to overhaul spaces that, here is Halifax, were only operational for 16 months.

I'm aware that Target Canada was not readily accepted by a lot of shoppers, and I'm not sure why. Some of the reasons I've heard is that the shelves weren't stocked, there weren't enough people to help on the floor, and the prices weren't as good as in the States.

I estimate I visit Target about three times per month, so I have a fairly good idea of how the store normally looks and operates. I admit, the first few weeks the store was open, I noticed the shelves weren't fully stocked. Not a smart move by Target, but once the initial rush of the grand opening was over, I generally always found what I wanted was in stock. I wonder if there were some people who only visited Target once, shortly after the opening buzz, and decided not to return for that reason. I always thought there were a lot of employees around to ask if you needed help finding anything, and they were always very friendly.

As for the prices, I've yet to see a store come to Canada (except Coach) and offer the same prices in the Canadian stores as the States. Of course the prices aren't as good - but neither is Forever 21 and we've seemed to accept that store just fine. I almost bought a jacket in Vegas at Forever 21, but decided against it as it would have taken up a lot of room in my luggage. When I got home and scoped it out at F21 here, by the time I factored in the tax, I would have been spending about $25 more on the exact same product. Guess who didn't buy the jacket?

Besides the really cool stuff they have in the home decor section (bye bye Nate Berkus), they have a huge selection of make-up and hair products. I'll be stocking up on my Frederik Fekkai (the only place I've found it in this country). Their stationary department was amazing too! They have an entire wall of boxed thank you cards and invitations, the cutest gift bags, and really unique greeting cards.

Bought these this week! So cute and only $12.99 each. About 7 inches tall.

Our door mat. $14.99 

The worst part about Target closing (for me) is that we won't be able to access the designer collaborations. I lived and breathed for these. Some of my very favourite items in my closet are from Target collabs. I will sorely miss showing up at the store for the 8:00 AM launch of these lines. I never really understood why Canadians didn't spring on these collections like people in the States do.

One of the five 3.1 Phillip Lim for Target items I bought. My favourite line!


Dress: Peter Pilotto for Target

Dress: Sarah Stevenson for Target (a Canadian designer!)
In addition to Target closing, other Canadian stores have left (or are leaving soon). Sad goodbyes go out to Mexx, Smart Set, and Jacob.

I'll miss you, Target Canada. Sniff sniff.

XOXO
Glitterary Girl

No comments: